The English world ‘Democracy is derived from two Greek Words ‘Demos and ‘Kratia’ or ‘Cratos’. Demas’, means crowed and Kratia or creator means power.
This is why the critias of democracy have described it as mobocracy. But in reacity, democracy is not mobocracy but rule by majority of the people according to certain rules and regulations which are accepted by the people of a country.
The system of democracy has the following Merits: 1. It gives equal opportunities to make progress to all the people.
2. It is above any kind of undue favour to any religion, caste, creed or colour.
3. The people are supreme and cannot be exploited by any dictator or group of persons.
4. It gives freedom of expression to the masses. It develops the intellectual level of the country.
5. In a democratic country a citizen is free to follow any kind of religion, trade, etc.
6. This helps the citizen to develop their in herent capabilities which contribute to the progress of the country. Demerits of the Democracy:
1. Government by popular majority means rule by the average man, who is generally intelligent, controlled in his conduct more by emotions than by reason and of limited knowledge. What standard of student can make us belive the opinion of 51% of the people to be wiser than 49%.
2. It is necessary to make long-range plans and policies to achive any great success. But in a democratic system the representatives of the people are
pound to face the electorate after 5 years. The general public does not make socrifices for the good results, which will be available only in future. want to So a country cannot make real progress by following democratic system.
3. The capitalists, industrialists, bosses of mafia type groups and religions
leaders play a dominant part in influencing voters in general elections. So honest and capable leaders do not get an opportunity to form the government.
4. Democracy needs educated, enlightened and patriotic people to make it a success. So in a country where the percentage of literacy is less than 50, a democratic system is useless and harmful for the welfare of the people.
In a democratic system and government, the principle of balance of power is used and consequently legislature, judiciary and executive-the three branches of government are separated. So the power of the government is limited by the laws of the constitution. It helps in smooth running of the system. But only a state of literate, will disciplined and patriotic people can enjoy the real fruits of democracy.